A journey about dogs and their people by Diane Rich
Are you a Single Pet Parent?November 14th, 2012 at Wed, 14th, 2012 at 10:09 am by Diane Rich
Pros and Cons
I work with many single dog owners. These pet parents, after careful thought and much research decided they wanted a dog in their life and will raise the dog alone. I also work with people who due to a divorce became a single pet parent. As most of us know, it is time consuming to properly raise a puppy or train any dog. Not easy for a family, let alone a single pet parent.
There are pros and cons of being a single pet parent.
1. Don’t have to ask anyone else how to raise the dog
2 . The pup is a wonderful ice breaker for the shy parent.
3. The dog can provide comfort for the homebody
4. The dog can provide motivation and company for a consistent walking program
5. The dog can sleep in the bed as there is more room
1. Allotting time for housetraining, training and Vet care
2. Financing the expense of food, supplies and Vet care
3. Trying to lift a giant or large breed puppy in the car
4. Who will take the dog if something happens to you
5. No one to blame the dog’s behavior on